Friday, August 19, 2016

First Post-The Painter's Daughter

It's always hard, the first post. Because I just recently read this book, I'll start with this one.


The Painter's Daughter by Julie Klassen.

Here is a part of the story. What you can read on the back of the book, I mean.
Sophie Dupont, daughter of a portrait painter, assists her father in his studio, keeping her own artwork out of sight. She often walks the cliffside path along the north Devon coast, popular with artists and poets. It's where she met the handsome Wesley Overtree, the first man to tell her she's beautiful.

Captain Stephen Overtree is accustomed to taking on his brother's neglected duties. Home on leave, he's send to find Wesley. Knowing his brother rented a cottage from a fellow painter, he travels to Devonshire and meets Miss Dupont, the painter's daughter. He's started to recognize her from a miniature portrait he carries with him-one of Wesley's discarded works. But his happiness plummets when he realizes Wesley has left her with child and sailed away to Italy in search of a new muse.

Wanting to do something worthwile with his life, Stephen proposes to Sophie. He does not offer love, or even a future together, but he can save her from scandal. If he dies in battle, as he believes he will, she'll be a respectable widow with the protection of his family.

Desperate for a way to escape her predicament, Sophie agrees to marry a stranger and travels to his family's estate. But at Overtree Hall, her problems are just beginning. Will she regret marrying Captain Overtree when a repentant Wesley returns? Or will she find herself torn between the father of her child and her growing affection for the husband she barely knows?

So, that was the back of the book. Here are the most prevalent characters:

Sophia Margaretha Dupont.
She is really kind, but when she was scared for Captain Overtree, I think she was doing a little bit ridiculous. I know, she loves Wesley(which I can't understand, by the way), but she can be friendly and sweet to Captain Overtree. Happily she does that later. I think she deserves to have a good husband and a happy marriage. I'm glad she accepted the offer of the captain.   



Stephen Marshall Overtree.
He was send to find his brother Wesley, and finds that he left Devonshire to sail to Italy. He discovers that Sophie carries a child from his brother and proposes to her to save her reputation and that of his brother. He is really very kind and I feel sorry for him because of his brother, who mocks on him, calling him Captain Black or Marsh. He may be a little bit violent sometimes, but that is normally to protect people dear to him.

Wesley Overtree.
He is very annoying. That is the first thing I have to tell about him. In the first part, I found him annoying, and later on he was even more annoying, when he came back to Overtree Hall. He mocks on his brother Stephen and says that he is all mean and grumpy and that he never smiles, and tries to take revenge on himself. Well, he has it wrong. Despite of all that up there, he has a heart. He does not interfere with his brothers marriage to ''his Sophie'', as he likes to call her, ''mia Sophia'', you know, and lets Sophie live with her child Mary Catherine and Stephen. That is something what I like in him.

Catherine ''Kate'' Overtree. 
She is sweet, innocent and she loves Mr Harrison, the sun of the clergyman. Not that other man, that awful one, I forgot his name. I like her very much.

Angela Jane Blake.
I feel sorry for her because of what Wesley has done to her(he has done lots of things). I like her because she is friendly to Carlton Keith. And because she is kind and brave.

Carlton Keith.
Carlton Keith(I'd rather stick to Mr Keith, if you wouldn't mind)is really kind, if you ask me. 
I really like him. Maybe he is a drinker of wine, and that sort of stuff, but he stops with that.
And he is really friendly and tries to help Stephen(and Sophie).

That were most of the characters. There is Winnie, the nanny, Stephen's parents, Sophie's family, Sophie's friend...and more. But this is it for now.

The book.
I think it is a great book! One of the best books of Julie Klassen(and also the newest). It is really a good book, you have to read it.

Enjoy!        

2 comments:

  1. Ohh! First comment! I'm on my iPhone so I can't see the entire blog, but am definitely following.

    ReplyDelete